History of the County Engineer

Soon after Ohio became a state on March 1, 1803, the position of County Surveyor was one of the first offices created by the state legislature with an act passed on April 15, 1803. When a new county was created, the legislature would appoint a Court of Common Pleas within the county which then appointed the positions of County Surveyor, Recorder, Prosecuting Attorney, and Clerk.

The position of County Surveyor remained an appointed position until the passage of a law on March 1, 1831 which established the position to be elected to a 3 year term, beginning with the election on the second Tuesday of October, 1834. In 1928 the term of office was lengthened from three years to four.

The early responsibilities of the office revolved around the subdividing of property and specifically the task of clarifying land titles and boundaries. Over time and by the late 19th century, as areas became more populated, the focus of the position had shifted to establishing roads, canals, and bridges to connect communities and to further facilitate settlement and development.

In 1915, legislation dictated that the County Surveyor also serve as the Resident Engineer for the State Highway Department. On August 30, 1935, legislation officially changed the title of County Surveyor to County Engineer, effectively establishing the position that exists today. Currently, only persons who hold registration certification from the State of Ohio as both Registered Professional Engineer and Registered Professional Surveyor may hold the office of County Engineer.

County Engineer
Jeremy P. Evans 2019-Present
Patrick J. Manger 2003-2019
Carl G. Hartman 1993-2003
Ralph T. Palmer 1985-1993
Walter C. Carter 1973-1984
Carl H. Rush 1936-1973

Pictured: Seated is Carl Rush, County Engineer 1936-1973. Far left is Walt Carter, County Engineer 1973-1984.

County Surveyor
Archie G. Holland 1933-1936
Miles R. Deal 1929-1933
Frank H. Galbreath 1925-1929
William B. Brown 1923-1925
Charles S. Miller 1921-1923
O.O. Mattox (Orison Ornsby) 1917-1921
Archie G. Holland 1913-1917
Leonidas Fomorin 1909-1913
Harley Rapp 1907-1909
E.H. Thirey 1905-1907
J.F. Rapp (John) 1904-1905
E.H. Thirey 1897-1904
David Donham 1891-1897
George H. Hill 1881-1891
John Ayer 1879-1881
Homer McLean 1878-1879
Charles S. Miller 1876-1878
Napoleon B. Ross 1870-1876
George W. Felter 1867-1870
Christopher W. Page 1864-1867
George W. Felter 1858-1864
Thomas W. Rathbone 1855-1858
James C. Moore 1849-1855
William S. McClean 1843-1849
Squire Frazee 1834-1843
John Boggess 1820-1834
George C. Light 1814-1820
Peter Light 1803-1814